Monday, January 18, 2010

what is bipolar disorder?

It might actually be time to consult my doctor again; this is my fourth sleepless night. I went to bed around 10ish, and slipped in and out of sleep, until I couldn't take it anymore and just woke up around 4 and haven't gone back to bed since then (it is now 6am).

Anyway, I've had some people asking me about bipolar disorder recently, and I would like to share some information about what bipolar disorder is, and some ways to cope (which, as my blog chronicles, I'm still learning). Taken off the US National Institute of Mental Health:

What is Bipolar Disorder?

Bipolar Disorder, also known as manic-depressive illness, is a serious medical illness that causes shifts in a person's mood, energy, and ability to function. Different from the normal ups and downs that everyone goes through, the symptoms of bipolar disorder are severe.

Signs & Symptoms

Bipolar disorder causes dramatic mood swings from overly "high" and/or irritable to sad and hopeless, and then back again, often with periods of normal mood in between. Severe changes in energy and behavior go along with these changes in mood. The periods of highs and lows are called episodes of mania and depression.

PERSONAL NOTE: There are many other signs and symptoms involved; if you think you suffer from bipolar disorder, kindly contact a trusted psychiatrist who can help diagnose you correctly. Also kindly note that the correct diagnosis may take time, even now my doctor is reluctant to place a name for my condition, although I am on medications for bipolar symptoms. Talk with your doctor, as sometimes it is best to treat the symptoms than a "disease" in particular when it comes to mental illness.

Treatment

Most people with bipolar disorder can achieve substantial stabilization of their mood swings and related symptoms over time with proper treatment. A strategy that combines medication and psychosocial treatment is optimal for managing the disorder over time.

PERSONAL NOTE: I personally think that several coping mechanisms help when it comes to bipolar disorder.

1) The "Ups" or mania
As this can be characterised from extreme changes such as being overly happy or easily agitated, breathing exercises may help. I still get irritated easily when I get manic, but I've learned to count from one to ten whenever I have those flares. I've also learned to ignore the "voices" and to get on with the programme whenever possible. Allowing myself to sometimes "indulge" in the manic phase sometimes makes me feel better (in a way, I find it an overcompensating mechanism for my depressive states); hence, piercings or shopping sprees make me feel better.
Keywords: Breathing exercises, counting before making a decision, ignore the voices; get used to them (they'd probably stick with you for life, I've been hearing them since I was young). Also, sometimes (WARNING: this is my own personal advice) indulge in your mania. It makes you feel good, though you may regret it the day after. But heck, at least you're kept happy for a while.

2) The "Lows" or depression
This is when I feel completely useless. I could lie in bed all day feeling unproductive and mellow. I've learned that when I am in my depressive state, talking always helps. It is when I can no longer talk about it that drives me to thinking about things like suicide. The truth is, I "attempted" suicide about 2-3 weeks ago on New Year's eve, and if anything, being in the psychiatric ward does not help either. So I've learned that when I am down, the best possible thing is to sometimes just let it ride through. Speak to someone you trust; I pick several close friends and there is of course my fiance.
Keywords: communication, communication, communication. If you don't feel like talking to people whom you think will not understand, pick the ones you know who will. Join an online support group. I am on dailystrength.org.

On another note, I "indulged" in a manic phase and allowed myself to get two new conch piercings.



P/s: ignore the slight goriness, this was taken right after the piercings were done. And already I'm thinking of getting another one. Which brings me to the topic of self-control (which I think I shall talk about in my next post).

1 comment:

  1. This is some great information. I have dealt with bipolar disorder for ten years now. One thing that has been helpful for me is http://onlineceucredit.com/edu/social-work-ceus-ba. I hope others with bipolar can get some good information from this site.

    ReplyDelete